Isla Espiritu Santo, (Holy Spirit Island), is a beautiful island located off the coast of La Paz, Mexico, and is home to several unique mammals. Some of the unique mammals found on Isla Espiritu Santo include:
1. Espiritu Santo Island Raccoon. This is a subspecies of the North American raccoon that is endemic to Isla Espiritu Santo. The island raccoon is smaller than the mainland raccoon and has a lighter coat.
2. Baja California Rock Squirrel. This species of squirrel is found only in the Baja California region, including Isla Espiritu Santo. They have a distinctive black stripe running down their back and a bushy tail.
3. Black-tailed Jackrabbit. This subspecies of the jackrabbit is found only in the Baja California region, including Isla Espiritu Santo. They have large ears, powerful legs, and can run up to 40 miles per hour.
4. Desert Bighorn Sheep. This subspecies of bighorn sheep is found in the desert regions of North America, including Isla Espiritu Santo. They have curved horns and are well adapted to survive in arid environments.
5. California Sea Lion. These marine mammals have two colonies at Isla Espiritu Santo. They are known for their loud barks and agility in the water.
These are just a few examples of the unique mammals that can be found on Isla Espiritu Santo. Other species found on the island include coyotes, bobcats, and several species of bats.
We are Baja Charters
Follow Us on Social Media